How to Spend a Rainy Day in Cancun
During the rainy season, it’s not uncommon for sun-drenched Cancun to be hit by a sudden thunderstorm. While these tropical showers don’t often last long, it’s best to stay on land until they’ve passed—but that doesn’t mean your plans are scuppered. From city museums to subterranean ecoparks, here are our top tips for making the most of your rainy day on Mexico’s Caribbean coast.
- Admire ancient artifacts at theMayan Museum of Cancun, benefiting from skip-the-line entry to escape the rain faster.
- Browse for bargains in Cancun’sindoor malls, including Luxury Avenue, Plaza Caracol, and Kukulcan Plaza.
- Dry off over tequila and tacos in the Hotel Zone’slively bars and restaurants.
- Rub shoulders with celebs at theWax Museum, or get a glimpse of life below the waves (without getting wet) at theInteractive Aquarium.
- Exploreindoor attractions in Playa del Carmensuch as the 3D Museum of Wonders, Frida Kahlo Museum, or Cirque du Soleil, taking advantage of tours with hotel pickup to keep clear of rain.
- Dive into a dance studio to practice your fancy footwork in abachata or salsa class.
- Join a tour of the Yucatan’sunderground rivers and cenotesat the Kantun Chi Ecopark.
- Avoid evening showers by bookingskip-the-line accessto Cancun’s famousclubs.