Tahrir Square, a modest and central circular plaza in downtown Cairo, wasn’t on most tourists’ radar at all until January 2011. Though it has long been an epicenter of political change in the city, the 2011 demonstrations and protests brought the square global fame as hundreds of thousands of people covered the area over the course of several weeks, coalescing the Arab Spring movement in Egypt and ultimately leading to the ousting of former President Hosni Mubarak. Some 6,000 people were injured in clashes with police and security forces in the vicinity of the square and 846 were killed.
Though major tourist sites—including the popular Egyptian Museum of Antiquities—are located just off the square, Tahrir Square has since become a must-see Cairo site in its own right. Though there are no noteworthy monuments or structures, several small tourist booths have set up shop on the periphery, and people from around the world come to pay homage to this site of modern change; the square also continues to be a site for political activity and public gatherings. If you wander the streets spinning off the square, it’s also possible to see murals and street art from 2011 to the present day depicting different facets of revolutionary sentiment.
Tahrir Square Tours
Should I book Tahrir Square tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Tahrir Square 2021?
What's the best way to experience Tahrir Square?
- Full-Day Giza Pyramids and Cairo Tour
- Sightseeing Day Tour to Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Bazaar from Giza or Cairo
- 4-Hour Walking and Horse Carriage City Tour of Cairo
- Discover Egypt 8 days - 7 nights By sleeper Train plus 5 stars Hotel
Things to do near Cairo
- Things to do in Giza
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Alexandria
- Things to do in El Alamein
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera