Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali)
The citadel of Saladin - and indeed, the Cairo skyline - is dominated by the Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali). Modelled along classic Turkish lines, it took 18 years to build (1830 - 1848) although later the domes had to be rebuilt. It was commissioned by Muhammad Ali, ruler of Egypt from 1805 - 1849, wholies in the marble tomb on the right as you enter.
Perhaps the most evocative description of it is in Olivia Manning'sThe Levant Trilogy: "Above them Mohammed Ali's alabaster mosque, uniquely white in this sand-coloured city, sat with minarets pricked, like a fat, white, watchful cat." It has never found much favor with writers, who have criticized it for being unimaginative, lacking in grace and resembling a great toad. Note the chintzy clock in the central courtyard, a gift from King Louis-Philippe of France in thanks for the Pharaonic obelisk that adorns the Place de la Concorde in Paris. It was damaged on delivery and has yet to be repaired.
Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali) Tours
Highlights of Cairo Sightseeing Tour Visiting Egyptian Museum Citadel with Mohamed Ali Mosque and khan khalili Bazaar
What are Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali) hours of operation?
Should I book Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Alabaster Mosque (Mosque of Muhammad Ali)?
- Fab 3-Days Tour Around Cairo Giza Alexanderia
- 4-Day Tour: Cairo, Luxor, Alexandria, Sound and Light Show, Dinner cruise
- Private Tour: Egyptian Museum, Alabaster Mosque, Khan el-Khalili
- 4-Day Tour around Cairo, Luxor and Alexandria
Things to do near Cairo
- Things to do in Giza
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Alexandria
- Things to do in El Alamein
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera