Al-Fayoum (Faiyum) is a city in Middle Egypt situated 100 kilometers southwest of Cairo. Al-Fayoum (Faiyum) is Egypt's largest oasis, measuring in at around 60 kilometers long and 70 kilometers wide. Founded in around 4000 BC, Faiyum is the oldest city in the country and is home to a number of important archaeological sites; the pharaohs built palaces here and the Greeks built temples.
Rich in nature as well as history, al-Fayoum’s landscape extends to sand dunes, palm trees, lakes, and valleys. Home to an abundance of wildlife, Lake Qaroun is an important natural lake here, where locals and visitors gather for such activities as fishing, watersports, and birdwatching.
The Valley of Whales is another main attraction in the area. A UNESCO World Heritage site, this valley was once a vast ocean that was home to a variety of marine life. Today, it is the site of many fossils and skeletons of extinct whales, along with some fascinating rock formations.
Al-Fayoum (Faiyum) Tours
Should I book Al-Fayoum (Faiyum) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Al-Fayoum (Faiyum) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Al-Fayoum (Faiyum)?
- Day Tour to El Fayoum Oasis and Wadi al Rayan
- Explore Fayoum Oasis and modawara mountain ( sand-board )
- Full Day Trip to Wadi El-Hitan
- Full-Day Fayoum Oasis and Waterfalls of Wadi El-Rayan Tour from Cairo
Things to do near Cairo
- Things to do in Giza
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Alexandria
- Things to do in El Alamein
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera