The sheltered, picturesque Wategos Beach is popular on Cape Byron for surfing and relaxing. Numerous picnic tables and electric barbecues allow visitors to enjoy the pristine surrounds over lunch. The nearby Cape Byron Walking Track passes behind the beach, calling for an afternoon stroll. Lifeguard patrols provide a safer beach environment during the busier summer months.
Little Wategos Beach offers a more secluded vibe given the fact it can only be reached by foot from the neighboring Wategos Beach. Little Wategos sits on the tip of Cape Byron, making it the easternmost beach on Australia's mainland. Although usually inviting, swimmers are encouraged to practice caution as strong currents can form even on mild days.
Besides swimming and surfing (longboarding does well here), the Wategos Beach area sees its fair share of fishing, particularly for flathead and whiting.
Things to do near Byron Bay
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Brunswick Heads
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Choc
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Rainbow Beach
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Newcastle
- Things to do in Tasmania