Vajdahunyad Castle (Vajdahunyadvár)
Stroll around the church, castle, and palace and pop into the castle and museum to see its ornate interior, replete with marble stairs and stained glass. Vajdahunyad Castle is a celebrated testament to Hungarian architectural achievement and is a typical stop on most Budapest tour itineraries, including small-group walking tours, bike tours, Segway tours, and private tours. For value, book a group tour that visits Vajdahunyad Castle with add-ons such as a Danube cruise.
Things to Know Before You Go
History enthusiasts should opt for a history or cultural sightseeing tour to learn more about Budapest, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Architecture fans shouldn't miss the Romanesque church and Gothic castle.
Travelers with limited time can book a private tour by car or minivan—visit the castle and top sights in Buda and Pest.
Take the guesswork out of planning with an inclusive Budapest package with tour, hotel, and airport transfer.
For panoramic views, be sure to tour Apostles’ Tower.
How to Get There
The best way to get to the castle is on a sightseeing tour that stops in City Park. To self-tour or for more time at the castle—arrive via public transit. The easy-to-navigate metro system is your best bet. Take the M1 line to the Széchenyi fürdő stop. You can also take the 20, 30, or 105 bus.
When to Get There
To visit the courtyard and admire the facades of its numerous on-site buildings, you can explore the property at any time, day or night. To walk through the Agricultural Museum, visit between midmorning and early evening, Tuesday to Sunday, with early closure in winter. The museum is closed on Monday.
Exploring Budapest's City Park
Once you've explored Vajdahunyad Castle, be sure to wander the rest of City Park in Budapest. The beautifully maintained public space is packed with attractions and hidden corners where you can relax with a book or stroll tree-lined pathways. For a traditional Hungarian experience, rejuvenate with a soak at the park's Széchenyi Thermal Bath, or stop by family-friendly park zoo. Don't miss Heroes' Square (Hosok tere), a grand monument at the park's entrance.
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Belgrade
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Széchenyi Thermal Baths (Széchenyi Gyógyfürdo)
- Heroes' Square (Hosök Tere)
- Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden (Fővárosi Állat és Növénykert)
- Budapest City Park (Városliget)
- Kunsthalle Budapest
- Museum of Fine Arts Budapest (Szépmuvészeti Múzeum)
- House of Terror Museum (Terror Háza Múzeum)
- Liszt Ferenc Square (Liszt Ferenc Tér)
- Budapest Pinball Museum
- Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Állami Operaház)
- Robert Capa Contemporary Photography Center
- Buda Castle (Budai Vár)
- Margaret Island (Margit-Sziget)
- Kazinczy Street Synagogue