St. Stephen’s Basilica (Szent István Bazilika)
Located in Budapest’s District V, St. Stephen’s Basilica is a grand cathedral and worship space that accommodates upward of 8,000 parishioners. Featuring a colonnaded entryway, the facade is adorned with carvings of the apostles. Go on your own or join a sightseeing tour, most of which stop by the popular attraction. And if you’re a music enthusiast, check out one of the basilica’s frequent organ recitals—many are free.
Recent reviews from experiences in Budapest
Things to Know Before You Go
Tours of St. Stephen’s Basilica are given in English, but advance booking is required.
Admission is free, except for the panorama tower and treasury—discounts are offered with the Budapest Card.
How to Get There
St. Stephen’s Basilica is easy to get to by metro. Hop on the M3 line to Metro János utca, or the M1 line to Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út.
When to Get There
The basilica is open every day. Services happen on Sundays throughout the day, and on weekday mornings. For a traditional experience, attend the weekly great mass, held in Latin. For fewer crowds, go on a weekday.
Visiting the Hungarian Parliament Building
Explore some of Budapest’s most picturesque streets on an afternoon stroll from St. Stephen’s Basilica to the Hungarian Parliament Building. Situated inside a public square, and facing the Danube River, this stately government structure is a stunning example of neo-Gothic architecture. English tours of the Budapest landmark are offered daily—book in advance.
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Belgrade
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- 3D Gallery Budapest
- Andrássy Avenue (Andrássy Út)
- Danube Palace (Duna Palota)
- Gozsdu Courtyard (Gozsdu Udvar)
- Danube Promenade
- Budapest Liberty Square (Szabadság Tér)
- Széchenyi Square (Széchenyi István Tér)
- Rumbach Street Synagogue (Rumbach Zsinagóga)
- Váci Street (Váci Utca)
- Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Vörösmarty Square (Vörösmarty Tér)
- Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Állami Operaház)
- House of Hungarian Art Nouveau (Magyar Szecesszió Háza)
- Robert Capa Contemporary Photography Center