Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum (Sziklakórház Atombunker Múzeum)
The Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum (Sziklakórház Atombunker Múzeum) is a common stop on Budapest tours, often checked off with its Buda Castle and Fisherman’s Bastion neighbors. The hospital’s interior can be accessed only with a museum guide. Some multi-attraction packages, such as certain hop-on hop-off tours, include discounted entry to the museum, helping to optimize your vacation time and budget.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum’s machinery section isn’t accessible to wheelchairs.
Guests with disabilities and a companion can enter for a heavily reduced fee.
Due to the sensitive nature of the war-related exhibitions, kids under age 6 aren’t allowed, and those under age 12 require adult supervision.
Photography and videography are strictly prohibited.
How to Get There
Situated in the caves below Buda Hill, the museum can be reached via elevator or steps directly from Buda Castle. Bus 16 stops nearby, as do regular hop-on hop-off services. If you’re going without a guide, make sure you have a map, as the entrance can be tricky to locate.
When to Get There
The Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum is typically open daily (except public holidays). English-language tours usually take place every hour, on the hour—going up to every half hour during the May-to-October peak season. The museum participates in Budapest’s Night of Museums initiative, when cultural institutions open after dark on Midsummer’s Eve.
If you’ll be doing a lot of city sightseeing, consider snagging a Budapest Card—a pass that includes free or discounted entry to most of Budapest’s top attractions, as well as unlimited use of public transit, free walking tours, and all sorts of deals. Choose from 24-, 48-, and 72-hour validity periods to suit your schedule, and easily experience all the city has to offer.
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Belgrade
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Holy Trinity Column (Szentháromság-Szobor)
- Matthias Church (Mátyás Templom)
- Fisherman’s Bastion (Halaszbastya)
- Castle Hill (Várhegy)
- Museum of Military History (Hadtörténeti Múzeum)
- Hungarian Heritage House (Budai Vigadó)
- Sándor Palace (Sándor Palota)
- Buda Castle Funicular (Budavári Sikló)
- Adam Clark Square (Clark Ádám Tér)
- Hungarian National Gallery (Magyar Nemzeti Galéria)
- Budapest Danube River
- Budapest History Museum (Castle Museum)
- Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Lanchid)
- Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Széchenyi Square (Széchenyi István Tér)