Budapest History Museum (Castle Museum)
Budapest history comes alive at the museum, and with a city discount package, you can access to the Castle Museum along with other top city attractions. Start your exploration of the museum’s four levels beginning in the basement, and then work your way up for comprehensive insight into Budapest’s religious, social, and political heritage.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Castle Museum is a must-do for history buffs.
The museum is mostly wheelchair friendly; however, some underground spaces are inaccessible.
Budapest Card holders enjoy free entry to all main branches of the Budapest History Museum.
Tours may include admission; otherwise, there is a charge to enter the museum, and an additional fee to take photographs, and for some temporary exhibits.
How to Get There
The museum is located in Buda Castle’s E Wing. Visitors can enter the main foyer from ground level or access the underground vaults via the Royal Gardens. Hop-on hop-off bus services provide easy access to Buda Castle, as does the Castle Hill Funicular and city bus No. 16.
When to Get There
Castle Museum is closed on Mondays and has reduced midweek opening hours in winter. Buda Castle hosts a program of annual events, including a summer craft festival and winter wine festival, and access to the museum is often included with a festival ticket.
Budapest History Museum
Now a multibranch organization, the Budapest History Museum dates back to 1887, when the Municipal Museum first formed. The archaeological Aquincum Museum followed in 1894. The collection was exhibited in several locations over the years, with several name changes, and eventually expanded to include Budapest Gallery and Kiscelli Museum. Today, the group is responsible for these four main branches, as well as some smaller attractions, including Bartók Memorial House.
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Belgrade
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Hungarian National Gallery (Magyar Nemzeti Galéria)
- Buda Castle Funicular (Budavári Sikló)
- Sándor Palace (Sándor Palota)
- Adam Clark Square (Clark Ádám Tér)
- Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Lanchid)
- Vigadó Concert Hall (Pesti Vigadó)
- Széchenyi Square (Széchenyi István Tér)
- Vörösmarty Square (Vörösmarty Tér)
- Danube Promenade
- Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Elisabeth Bridge (Erzsébet Híd)
- Budapest Danube River
- Danube Palace (Duna Palota)
- Rudas Thermal Baths (Rudas Gyógyfürdo)
- Hungarian Heritage House (Budai Vigadó)