Georg Kolbe Museum
After the death of famous German sculptor Georg Kolbe, his home and studio in West Berlin were converted into a museum in 1950. Discover over 200 of the artist’s statues at the museum, plus a few crafted by Kolbe’s contemporaries. See beautiful examples of architectural modernism in the museum’s two buildings connected by a large garden with tall trees.
Learn about the life and work of Georg Kolbe at this museum displaying his sculptures, most of which are bronzes. The collection is dominated by nudes dating back to the 1910s and 1920s. Travelers interested in seeing many sights might want to investigate the Berlin Pass, a single pass that includes entry to over 50 attractions across Berlin. Choose either a two- or three-day pass to explore many museums in Berlin for one price.
Things to know before you go
- The Georg Kolbe Museum is a must-see attraction for travelers interested in art and sculpture.
- The peaceful location and large garden give this museum a particularly relaxed feel.
- The museum is home to the K Cafe that serves soups, salads, quiches, cakes, coffee, and wine; the cafe has a pretty outdoor terrace.
How to get there
The Georg Kolbe Museum is located in West Berlin at Sensburger Allee 25. It can be reached by public transportation and is a short walk away from the S-Bahn at Heerstraße and U-Bahn at U Neu-Westend. It is near other attractions, including the Olympic Stadium.
When to get there
The museum is open from Tuesday through Sunday. The large garden and close proximity to Georg Kolbe Grove make this museum a popular pick during good weather. Visit during the week versus the weekend for the most peaceful experience.
More Georg Kolbe
In addition to the museum, fans of Georg Kolbe’s work can stroll to the nearby Georg Kolbe Grove, a park that features several of the artist’s large-scale sculptures. George Kolbe is also buried nearby, alongside his wife at the Heerstraße Cemetery.
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Olympic Stadium (Olympiastadion Berlin)
- Berlin TV Tower (Berliner Fernsehturm)
- Platform 17 Memorial (Gleis 17, Grunewald)
- Bröhan Museum
- Berggruen Museum
- Scharf-Gerstenberg Collection
- Charlottenburg Palace (Schloss Charlottenburg)
- Classic Remise Berlin
- Brücke Museum
- Kurfürstendamm (Ku'damm)
- Photography Museum (Museum für Fotografie)
- Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (Kaiser-Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche)
- Berlin Zoo and Aquarium
- KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens)