Allied Museum (AlliiertenMuseum)
The Allied Museum houses memorabilia and a number of important documents from the Cold War era in what was the Americans’ Outpost movie theater. Highlights include the first control cabin at Checkpoint Charlie, a Handley Page Hastings British plane used during the Soviet blockade of Berlin, a Berlin spy tunnel, and the first satellite image of Berlin from CIA archives.
The Allied Museum offers guided tours to groups, and these typically include a discussion of the Allied presence in Berlin during the Cold War and a look at important pieces of memorabilia. Admission to the museum is included in the Berlin Pass, along with city highlights such as Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom), Checkpoint Charlie Museum, and Pergamon Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Allied Museum is a must-visit for Cold War history buffs.
Admission to the AlliiertenMuseum is free for all guests, and guided tours are available with prior arrangement two weeks in advance.
The Allied Museum is wheelchair accessible, though some displays are not visible from wheelchair height.
How to Get There
The Allied Museum is located at Clayalle 134 in the Dahlem neighborhood in southwest Berlin, within walking distance of the Brücke Museum. To get there by public transit, take the U3 to Oskar-Helene-Heim or bus 115 or X83 to the AlliiertenMuseum stop. Free parking is available on-site for those who would prefer to drive.
When to Get There
The Allied Museum, which is open every day but Monday, is rarely crowded, making this is a good sight to visit in the middle of the day when blockbuster sights are at their busiest.
Dahlem During the Cold War
The Allied Museum stands in the neighborhood of Dahlem, in what was the American sector of West Berlin. The permanent exhibition is housed in the Outpost theater, used by American troops from 1953 until the end of the Cold War. The US Army also built a shopping mall and a library in the space, bringing the comforts of home to the war-torn city of West Berlin.
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Domäne Dahlem
- Brücke Museum
- Ethnological Museum of Berlin (Ethnologisches Museum)
- Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum (Berlin Botanischer Garten und Botanisches Museum)
- Platform 17 Memorial (Gleis 17, Grunewald)
- Düppel Historic Village (Museumsdorf Düppel)
- Berlin TV Tower (Berliner Fernsehturm)
- Georg Kolbe Museum
- Kurfürstendamm (Ku'damm)
- Olympic Stadium (Olympiastadion Berlin)
- Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (Kaiser-Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche)
- KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens)
- Photography Museum (Museum für Fotografie)
- Bröhan Museum