Tiananmen Square (Tiananmen Guangchang)
One of the most famous landmarks in all of China, Tiananmen Square and its 125-foot-high (39-meter-high) granite Monument to the People’s Heroes features on just about every Beijing tour. Visitors from around the globe come to have their picture taken in front of the photo of Chairman Mao mounted on the monumental Gate of Heavenly Peace (Tiananmen). For those pressed for time, it’s possible to visit the Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Forbidden City, and Tiananmen Square in a single day.
Recent reviews from experiences in Beijing
Things to Know Before You Go
Tiananmen Square is a must-see for history buffs, people watchers, and first-time visitors.
Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk; the square and neighboring Forbidden City are huge.
Don’t forget to wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat, as the square provides little shade.
Visitors are required to pass through a security checkpoint before entering the square.
How to Get There
The easiest way to get to Tiananmen Square is to take the Beijing subway Line 1 to either Tiananmen East or Tiananmen West, or Line 2 to Qianmen. Several public buses also stop at the square.
When to Get There
The national flagpole sits within Tiananmen Square, and the flag-raising ceremony that takes place at sunrise each morning is well worth seeing. Expect big crowds and long lines at the Forbidden City and Mao’s Mausoleum during peak tourist season in summer and on Chinese public holidays.
Attractions in Tiananmen Square
Tiananmen Square sits at the heart of Beijing, surrounded by some of the city’s top attractions. The Forbidden City, the Museum of Chinese History, the Museum of the Chinese Revolution, the Great Hall of the People, and the Chairman Mao Mausoleum bound the square, so there’s always a lot of activity.
- Things to do in Northern China
- Things to do in Tianjin
- Things to do in Datong
- Things to do in Shenyang
- Things to do in Jinan
- Things to do in Pingyao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Taiyuan
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- National Center for the Performing Arts (NCPA)
- Great Hall of the People
- Tiananmen (Gate of Heavenly Peace)
- Monument to the People’s Heroes
- Chairman Mao Memorial Hall (Maozhuxi Jinian Tang)
- National Museum of China (NAMOC)
- Meridian Gate (Wumen)
- Treasure Gallery
- Imperial Garden of the Palace Museum
- Inner Court (Nei Ting)
- Qianmen Street
- Wangfujing Street (Wangfujing Dajie)
- Nine Dragon Screen at the Palace Museum
- Marco Polo Bridge (Lugou Qiao)
- Forbidden City (Palace Museum)
- Beijing Suggested Itineraries
- Beijing Cuisine
- Climb the Great Wall
- Acrobatic Shows
- Beijing Temples
- Summer Palace Cruises in Beijing
- Exploring the Hutongs of Beijing
- How to Spend 3 Days in Beijing
- Know Before You Go: Visiting the Great Wall of China
- Guide to Climbing the Great Wall of China
- How to Spend 1 Day in Beijing
- Food Lover's Guide to Beijing