Marco Polo Bridge (Lugou Qiao)
The nationally famous bridge, also known as Lugou Bridge, has featured in countless movie scenes filmed in Beijing, yet it remains a bit off-the-beaten path for foreign tourists. Guided tours to the bridge might also include points of interest, such as the Peking Man Site, where the first complete Peking Man skull was discovered in 1929, or the Stone Flower Cave with its colorfully illuminated rock formations.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Lugou Bridge is a must-visit for history buffs and photographers.
Beijing tours that include the bridge typically last about eight hours.
Don’t forget to bring sun protection if you plan to spend some time on the bridge, as you’ll find little shade.
How to Get There
While outside Beijing’s city center, the bridge is still easily accessible by public transportation. Take one of several public buses to Lugou Xinqiao Station or ride the Beijing Subway (Line 14) to Dawayao Station and catch Bus 339 to Lugou Xinqiao Station.
When to Get There
This scenic spot is open for visitors throughout the year, with reduced hours during the winter months (November to March). While there’s no bad time to visit, you’ll capture the best photos of the curving arches and stone lions right around sunset.
The Marco Polo Bridge Incident
On July 7, 1937, the stone bridge witnessed one of the most important moments in modern Chinese history when fighting broke out between Japanese troops and the Chinese army, setting off the eight-year Sino-Japanese War. This war would continue until Japan finally surrendered in 1945 at the end of World War II.
- Things to do in Northern China
- Things to do in Tianjin
- Things to do in Datong
- Things to do in Shenyang
- Things to do in Jinan
- Things to do in Pingyao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Taiyuan
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Wangfujing Street (Wangfujing Dajie)
- National Museum of China (NAMOC)
- Monument to the People’s Heroes
- Chairman Mao Memorial Hall (Maozhuxi Jinian Tang)
- Tiananmen (Gate of Heavenly Peace)
- Qianmen Street
- Great Hall of the People
- Meridian Gate (Wumen)
- Donghuamen Night Market
- St. Joseph's Church
- Tiananmen Square (Tiananmen Guangchang)
- Treasure Gallery
- National Center for the Performing Arts (NCPA)
- Imperial Garden of the Palace Museum
- Inner Court (Nei Ting)
- Beijing Suggested Itineraries
- Beijing Cuisine
- Climb the Great Wall
- Acrobatic Shows
- Beijing Temples
- Summer Palace Cruises in Beijing
- Exploring the Hutongs of Beijing
- How to Spend 3 Days in Beijing
- Know Before You Go: Visiting the Great Wall of China
- Guide to Climbing the Great Wall of China
- How to Spend 1 Day in Beijing
- Food Lover's Guide to Beijing