Ciutadella Park (Parc de la Ciutadella)
Barcelona’s version of Central Park in New York ranks among the most popular attractions in the old city. Located just northeast of the city center, not far from the Barceloneta beach, the park is included in just about every small-group and private city tour. Options for tours that stop at Ciutadella Park include walking, Segway, and cycling tours through the park and other points of interest, such as Las Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, the Gothic Quarter, and Port Olímpic.
Things to Know Before You Go
The park is a must-see for first-time visitors.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking on a variety of surfaces.
Don’t forget to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat, as many areas of the park lack shade.
See the park on a walking, cycling, or Segway tour.
How to Get There
Ciutadella Park is accessible on foot from just about anywhere in the old city or Barceloneta. To get there by public transportation, take the metro (Line 1) to Arc de Triomf station and head toward the park along the car-free Passeig de Lluís Companys.
When to Get There
The park bustles with visitors and locals throughout the day, so there’s never a bad time to visit. Weekends offer the best people watching, as Barcelona residents often come here for picnics and exercise.
Gaudí at the Park
When architect Josep Fontserè i Mestre was commissioned to update the park in advance of the 1888 International Exhibition, a young Antoni Gaudí (an architecture student at the time) caught his eye. Gaudí is said to have designed some of the pipework and decorative medallions of the park’s monumental fountain.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- Arc de Triomf
- Barcelona Zoo
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- El Born
- Santa Caterina Market (Mercat de Santa Caterina)
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- Palace of Catalan Music (Palau de la Música Catalana)
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- House of Silk (La Casa de la Seda)