Designed by Carles Buigas, the Magic Fountain is one of Barcelona’s most popular tourist attractions, drawing almost 2.5 million annual visitors. Stop by the fountain after dark to enjoy a range of uniquely choreographed spectacles—soundtracks range from classical scores to a remix of Barcelona by Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé, while the fountain’s water acrobatics are performed by 3,620 jets and reach heights of 177 feet (54 meters). Guided tours of the Montjuic neighborhood often include a stop at the fountain during the day, and night tours—evening bike tours, bus tours, and nightlife tours—often feature the free fountain show.
Recent reviews from experiences in Barcelona
Things to Know Before You Go
The Magic Fountain of Montjuic is a must-see for families with kids and first-time visitors.
Each fountain show lasts about 20 minutes.
Stand upwind of the fountain to avoid getting wet.
How to Get There
The Magic Fountain is located at the foot of Montjuic Mountain, a hilltop Barcelona neighborhood, near the famous Placa Espanya square. The easiest way to get there is via the metro, getting off at Espanya station. Bus 55 also stops near the fountain, as do most hop-on, hop-off bus tours.
When to Get There
To experience the fountain in its full glory, it’s best to visit during one of the synchronized light and sounds shows. The light show schedule varies by season, with nightly shows on weekend evenings and an extended summer schedule. It’s a good idea to arrive a few minutes early to get a good spot during summer.
Where to Find Great Views of the Magic Fountain
The former bullring in Placa Espanya, now a shopping center, offers excellent panoramic views of the Magic Fountain, Montjuic Palace, and the entire city of Barcelona. Ride the escalators to the top floor, where restaurants circle the rooftop and the spectacular views are completely free.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Fran Daurel Foundation (Fundacio Fran Daurel)
- Spanish Village (Poble Espanyol)
- El Tablao de Carmen
- Placa d'Espanya
- National Art Museum of Catalonia (Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya)
- Olympic Stadium
- Saint Jordi Palace (Palau Sant Jordi)
- Joan Miró Museum (Fundació Joan Miró)
- Montjuïc Mountain
- Botanical Garden of Barcelona
- Montjuic Park (Parc de Montjuïc)
- Montjuïc Castle (Castell de Montjuïc)
- El Raval
- Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art (MACBA)
- Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona (CCCB)