Gran Teatre del Liceu
The Gran Teatre del Liceu has seating for some 2,300 spectators, but you don’t have to come for an opera to appreciate the grand building. Guided tours lead through some of its most impressive areas, including the grand foyer and Hall of Mirrors, both of which survived fire; the main auditorium; and El Círculo del Liceo, one of Spain’s oldest social clubs, decorated with a collection of modernista art.
Those who want to learn more about the surrounding neighborhood—bohemian Raval—can also take a guided walking tour that includes the opera house, along with several other local haunts.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Gran Teatre del Liceu is a must-visit for theater and arts fans and architecture buffs.
Guided tours of the theater take about 45 minutes to an hour.
The auditorium offers reserved space for wheelchairs, and the lobby and restrooms are both accessible.
How to Get There
The theater is located on Las Ramblas, steps away from the Liceu metro station. It’s within walking distance of just about anywhere in the Old City (Ciutat Vella) and a stop on many guided tours of the neighborhood.
When to Get There
The opera stages performances throughout the year, so check the calendar before your visit if you want to see a show. Theater tours are offered daily throughout the year.
Performing Arts in Barcelona
Barcelona is blessed with many excellent venues for the performing arts. Visitors can see theater and classical music at the National Theater of Catalonia (Teatre Nacional de Catalunya), as well as the architecturally impressive Palace of Catalan Music (Palau de la Música Catalana) and the minimalist Barcelona Auditorium (L’Auditori de Barcelona). Several more intimate venues also specialize in live flamenco.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Placa del Rei
- Güell Palace (Palau Güell)
- Tablao Flamenco Cordobes
- Basilica of Santa Maria del Pi
- La Boqueria Market (Mercat de la Boqueria)
- Erotic Museum of Barcelona (Museu de l'Erotica)
- CaixaForum Barcelona
- Barcelona Pavilion (Pabellon Mies van der Rohe)
- George Orwell Square (Plaça de George Orwell)
- El Raval
- Placa de Sant Felip Neri
- Catalan Regional Government Building (Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya)
- Barcelona City Hall (Casa de la Ciutat)
- Museum of Illusions
- Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic)