El Poblenou lies somewhat off the typical tourist path, and as such, offers a more authentic glimpse into modern Catalan life. Some guided walking and Segway tours pass through the neighborhood, while those with an interest in Barcelona’s street art and graffiti can opt for a themed bike tour through this once-industrial neighborhood. Both the red and green routes of the Barcelona hop-on hop-off bus also include stops in El Poblenou.
Things to Know Before You Go
El Poblenou is an excellent place to catch a glimpse of modern Barcelona—a must for art lovers.
Wear comfortable shoes for walking, as the neighborhood is rather large.
Tour the neighborhood with a guide to get added insight into its hidden gems.
El Poblenou is accessible for wheelchair users but some of the stores, restaurants, and attractions may not be.
How to Get There
El Poblenou lies just north of the center of Barcelona. Both the metro (line 4) and tram (T4) stop at several places in the area, and the hop-on hop-off bus passes through the neighborhood. Guided walking tours of El Poblenou are also available.
When to Get There
Day or night, there’s almost always something going on in El Poblenou. Take a stroll down Rambla de Poblenou in the evening to have dinner at a local tapas bar before seeing the Torre Agbar illuminated at night. Or, come on the first weekend of the month to shop for funky crafts at the Palo Alto Market, housed inside a former factory.
Attractions in El Poblenou
While most of Barcelona’s star attractions lie in the Old City, there’s still plenty to see and do in this revitalized neighborhood. Barcelona’s Design Hub is home to the Barcelona Design Museum, while the revamped Encants Vells flea market sells a huge range of secondhand items. The neoclassical Poblenou Cemetery is dotted with lovely sculptures and pavilions, many dating back to the 18th century.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Nova Icaria Beach (Platja de la Nova Icaria)
- Glories Tower (Torre Gories)
- Port Olímpic
- Barcelona Music Museum (Museu de la Música)
- Diagonal Mar
- La Monumental Bullring (Plaza de Toros Monumental de Barcelona)
- Ciutadella Park (Parc de la Ciutadella)
- Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona (Museu Blau)
- Arc de Triomf
- Barcelona Zoo
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- Forum Park (Parc del Forum)