Khao San Road
Come to the half a mile (1 kilometer) stretch of Khao San Road, which passes through Banglamphu, to try local restaurants and street food, shop markets selling clothing and souvenirs, experience all kinds of music and nightlife entertainment, and perhaps spend the night. You'll be in the company of other tourists and young, artsy Thais. The road (sometimes written Khaosan Road) is near the old town area attractions such as the Grand Palace, Golden Mount, Giant Swing, and National Gallery.
Khao San Road is the starting point for many guided tours of the Old Bangkok area, including cycling, walking, and tuk-tuk tours. Nightlife tours around Khao San Road are also a good option for solo travelers who want to meet people and check out Bangkok’s bar scene in the safety of a group.
Things to Know Before You Go
To take a tuk-tuk from Khao San Road, it's advisable to walk a bit away from the area to avoid being overcharged.
Book accommodations ahead of time, if possible, for the best prices.
Despite its ultra-budget reputation, you can also find some three-star accommodations on Khao San Road.
How to Get There
There are no Skytrain or Metro stations in Banglamphu, but it is connected to the rest of the city by express boat and bus, as well as taxi. It’s also a hub for longer-distance travel, with some coaches to other parts of Thailand leaving from the area.
When to Get There
To experience its more peaceful side, head to Khao San Road in the cool of the early morning. During the day, check out the markets and shops, and sample street food. At night, the bars and clubs are open late. Thai New Year, or Songkran, is especially vibrant around Khao San Road—prepare to get wet!
Visit the Grand Palace
Not far from Khao San Road is the Grand Palace. The complex is full of ornate, sparkling temples, as well as the Emerald Buddha, one of the most important Buddha statues in the country. The Grand Palace is very popular with travelers, and is an absolute must-visit attraction.
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Democracy Monument
- Tiger God Shrine (San Chao Pho Suea)
- Bangkok National Museum
- Bangkok NANTA Theatre
- Phra Sumen Fort
- Wat Ratchanatdaram Woravihara (Loha Prasat)
- Wat Suthat Thepwararam
- Giant Swing (Sao Ching Cha)
- Grand Palace
- Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew)
- Golden Mount (Wat Saket)
- National Museum of Royal Barges
- Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho)
- Phahurat Market (Little India)