Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
While the night sky shows and projections are the main draws of the planetarium, it offers much more. There's a science center and a science park with sundials, kaleidoscopes, and models of rockets as well as a number of projectors and telescopes for public use. It's also a great place to head to for viewings of astronomical events, such as eclipses. It's possible to arrange a private tour to see the planetarium as well as nearby sights like Anjaneya Temple.
Things to Know Before You Go
The planetarium is a must-visit for science lovers and astronomy buffs.
A section of the planetarium is outside, so be prepared for the elements.
It's is a great place to visit for families with young kids.
How to Get There
Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium is located in the heart of Bangalore, right on Raj Bhavan Road. It’s about a 10-minute walk from Cubbon Park and a 10-minute drive from the main railway station. The area is easy to get to by taxi or auto rickshaw, and parking is available. The nearest metro stations are Dr. BR Ambedkar station and Cubbon Park.
When to Get There
The planetarium is a year-round attraction, and as much of it is indoors, travelers just interested in seeing shows and projections won’t have to worry too much about weather considerations such as monsoons. However, there are some science activities in the garden, so those coming in the rainy season (June–September) should pack an umbrella. It’s open Wednesday through Sunday. English-language shows take place daily at 12:30pm and 4:30pm, but check ahead for any changes.
Special Events at the Planetarium
Along with regular projections and night sky shows, the planetarium offers a host of special events, from regular monthly science movies, most of which are family-friendly, to special workshops for educators. A number of lectures are also held throughout the year, often on advanced topics in astronomy and physics.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Vidhana Soudha
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Fun World & Water World
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Bangalore Palace
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)