Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)
While much of Bangalore Fort has since gone to ruin, spending time here provides an excellent glimpse of what life was like under the city's famous founder, Kempe Gowda. It’s still a popular stop on many city tours, and going with a guide can help provide some context, especially if you’re interested in understanding how large the fort once was (before parts of it were destroyed to make way for roads and buildings).
Things to Know Before You Go
Bangalore Fort is a must-visit for history buffs and architecture lovers.
Make sure to wear sunscreen and a hat, along with comfortable shoes.
The fort is not suitable for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The fort is located on Krisnarajendra Road in Chamrajpet, a short walk from the City Market and right behind the KR Market Metro station, which connects to Lalbagh Gardens via the Green Line. It's about a 5-minute walk from Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace, and the two attractions are often visited together.
When to Get There
Bangalore is a year-round destination, with a moderately warm climate throughout the year, even in the cooler winter months of November through January. Things begin to heat up around April, and temperatures peak in mid-May before the rainfall of the monsoon. Rains continue through August or September, but usually do not bring the city to a halt.
Kempe Gowda and the Birth of Bangalore
Kempe Gowda ruled during the Vijayanagara Empire, which had control over much of present-day South India in the 17th century. According to legend, during a hunting trip he had a vision of a large city, leading him to conquer the surrounding areas and eventually form Bangalore, starting with what was then an 8-gate fort.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Bangalore Palace
- Fun World & Water World
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Vidhana Soudha
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Bannerghatta National Park
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)