Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum Tours
Read MoreShow Less
A visit to the Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum is a journey into the mind of the famous American writer. Built in Baltimore in 1930, the unassuming 5-room row house is a shrine to Poe, who lived here for two years. The museum showcases Poe’s daily life and writings he penned in the home, while his grave is at nearby Westminster Hall.
Edgar Allen Poe resided in this red-brick row house from 1833 to 1835, during which time he allegedly wrote seven stories and four poems here. The house was saved from demolition in 1941 and is now a National Historic Landmark for literary lovers to enjoy. Inside, visitors can see various objects from Poe’s life, works, and legacy. A few blocks away, Poe lies at rest in the Westminster Hall burial ground.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Edgar Allan Poe House and grave are a must for book lovers and writers.
- The museum does not have restroom facilities, as the original home featured only an outhouse.
- The home is not accessible to wheelchairs, and is difficult for those with mobility issues to navigate.
How to Get There
Located just west of downtown Baltimore, the Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum is located on North Amity Street; his grave at Westminster Hall is a 5-minute drive or 15-minute walk southeast. You can also take the free Charm City Circulator Orange Line and get off at stop 210.
When to Get There
The Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum is open Thursday to Sunday from 11am to 4pm. You can arrange private or special tours upon request.
No Longer an Unmarked Grave
Edgar Allan Poe passed away in October 1849 and was buried in an unmarked grave near his home. Over the next 25 years, numerous incidents occurred when trying to construct a proper monument for Poe. Finally in 1875, with support from many donors, Poe’s body was exhumed and moved to now-named Westminster Hall, with a white marble grave marker to commemorate the literary great.
Address: 203 North Amity Street, Baltimore 21223, USA
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Edgar Allan Poe House & Museum
No results found!
Things to do near Baltimore
- Things to do in Maryland
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in Amboseli National Park
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Newark
- Things to do in Jersey City
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Delphi
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New Jersey