To get to know the history of this neighborhood, visitors can take a heritage walk and learn about its historical buildings, including the Ponsonby Fire Station, Ponsonby Post Office, The Leys Institute, and St. Mary's Convent. Admire restored 19th-century villas during a narrated full- or half-day Auckland sightseeing tour, or let a guide introduce you to the Ponsonby district’s highlights while zipping around on an electric bike.
Things to Know Before You Go
Trendy, chic, hip: all describe Ponsonby and its visitors.
Combine a tour of Queen Street, Ponsonby, and Devonport with an excursion to the Kumeu wine country.
Parking availability can be a challenge, especially on weekends.
How to Get There
Located roughly 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) west of central Auckland, Ponsonby is within walking distance of the Central Business District. Ponsonby Road and side streets provide some parking, but it can get crowded. After midnight, the bus stops become taxi stands. Pickup from centrally located hotels is provided on most tour itineraries.
When to Get There
There’s really no bad time to visit this hot spot in Auckland, day or night, year-round. Weekends can get busy, but that is also a perfect time to stroll the streets, enjoy a lazy brunch, or chat with the many food purveyors and boutique vendors. Sample Auckland nightlife at some of the district’s bars and restaurants.
Where to Find the Best Produce in Ponsonby
Ponsonby Central is a fashionable section of Ponsonby Road, full of pop-up shops and diverse eateries. It’s ideal for dining as well as shopping for organic fruits and vegetables, quality wine and cheese, baked goods, coffee, meats, fish, and more. Most of the cafés in the area offer free Wi-Fi.
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Waiheke Island
- Things to do in Tauranga
- Things to do in Rotorua
- Things to do in Tongariro National Park
- Things to do in Hastings
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in Picton
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Wanaka
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Victoria
- Family Friendly
- The Lord of the Rings Tours
- 3 Days in Auckland: Suggested Itineraries
- Waitomo Caves Tours form Auckland
- Must-See Museums in Auckland
- Things to Do in Auckland with Kids
- Auckland Neighborhood Guide
- Don't-Miss Dishes in Auckland
- Where to Find the Best Views in Auckland
- First-Timer's Guide to Auckland
- Romantic Things to Do in Auckland