The Unfinished Obelisk is a huge discarded granite obelisk. Three sides of the shaft, which is nearly 138 feet (42m) long, were completed except for the inscriptions. At 1,168 tonnes, the completed obelisk would have been the single heaviest piece of stone the Egyptians ever fashioned. However, a crack appeared in the rock at a late stage in the process. So it lies where the disappointed stonemasons abandoned it, still partly attached to the parent rock, with no indication of what it was intended for. It does give us an excellent insight into how these massive stone sculptures were made however.
Upon entering the quarry, steps lead down from the surrounding ramp into the pit of the obelisk where there are ancient pictographs of dolphins and ostriches or flamingos, thought to have been painted by workers at the quarry.
Unfinished Obelisk Tours
Should I book Unfinished Obelisk tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Unfinished Obelisk 2021?
What's the best way to experience Unfinished Obelisk?
- Private Tour: 8 Days 7 Nights Pyramids and Nile Cruise by Air from Cairo
- Private 7-Night Cairo, Aswan, and Nile Cruise with Flights
- Aswan: Guided Tour to High Dam, The Obelisk & Philae Temple by Motorboat
- 4-Day 3-Night Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor - Private Tour
Things to do near Aswan
- Things to do in Luxor
- Things to do in Marsa Alam
- Things to do in Abu Simbel
- Things to do in Safaga
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Saint Catherine
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Aqaba
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera